Transformation of the former Town of Western
Volunteer Company building directly across the street from the
General William Floyd House has stopped for the winter. Much
has been accomplished this year. Two new entrances have been
created with decorative early nineteenth century detailing,
all new windows have been installed and siding that matches
the General’s house has been applied. The building now
has two new faux chimneys that will eventually vent the interior
utilities. A stonemason handcrafted and installed two huge limestone
entry stones for each entrance. Hand-made entry and post lights
have been ordered and should be arriving any day.
Letter suggests blacksmith shop was the General’s
During the Bicentennial celebration in September, Jeannie Ledford,
a Floyd descendant from Tennessee, presented us with a letter
dated 1854, in which the General’s grandson was giving
land across from the house for the construction of a schoolhouse.
The contents of the letter described the survey lines referenced
the General’s blacksmith shop as one of the landmarks.
This is the first time we have been able to link the shop to
Since the start of the renovation , we had been searching for
short, simple, descriptive name for the General William Floyd
Center. A friend of ours suggested we call the building “The
Forge”. Although it is not official, this offering is
sounding like a keeper.